Sunday, April 4, 2010

Using Autodesk Inventor

James Tadesco suggested the use of Autodesk Inventor for designing mechanical devices, which I mentioned to the engineering mentor on my robotics team. The engineer said that he knew how to use it, and showed me a part of a robot that he had designed on it. The user interface was pretty visual in nature, and it looked like something I could handle (with some practice, of course). James says the kids he knows who use it also like it, so I think I will focus my efforts this summer on Autodesk Inventor. I have used a CAD program years ago, which was not altogether that visual in interface, and was hard for me to use.

In our second regional competition, in Minneapolis, our FIRST Robotics team made it to the quarter finals but did not make it to the next level. We were still happy with our showing, and our kids had a blast. You can Google Team 1675 or go to http://team1675.com/ if you want to find out more about our team. It is populated by students from two "urban" schools, and is very well represented from the standpoint of diversity.

4 comments:

  1. Tim,

    Congratulations to the Ultimate Protection Squad. This is a wonderfull project you are involved in.

    As for autodesk inventor, I was not able to try it out although I went to the site. Did you sign up as a student?

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    Also congratulations to your team! I am amazed at what young people can do once there minds are set to it. There are some incredible things done with robotics and although my knowledge is very limited, I have seen robots designed to do some pretty amazing things. I saw a gentleman develop a robot that walked like a bug and it had no computer programing. I still don't know how it worked, but it took him years to figure out the math equations that he used to develop the motions. Another interesting one was in the shape of a ball and it had a free floating camera mounted in it. It is being used in airports for security and is even used to monitor children at a playground. Cool stuff and it starts with kids gaining interest and accolades at events that you attend and gain sponsorship to support your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim,
    I loved reading your blog. Sometimes it seems we are teaching things so basic in the early grades that it's so nice to read how far they are able to take those basic skills once they get a bit higher up (and not doubt a bit more mature). I loved seeing your kids work, it was amazing. Like I said, it makes it so much easier to go teach those basics knowing where it can take them. Congratulations!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    Congrats on your Robotics team accomplishment. Often times just getting past the first round is "winning", or perhaps "vindication of ideas and efforts", for many kids.

    The closest we ever had to robotics in schools was metal shop class and the time the teacher allowed me to attempt welding and he got so frustrated at me that he grabbed the rod holder out of my hand and told me to go sit in the corner because I was so dense and couldn't keep the arc going. Oh well, guess that blows my chance at the Alaska pipeline job after high school.

    take care

    Rob Zingg

    ReplyDelete